Hazardous Waste Generator
Many wastes generated in Contra Costa County are considered hazardous waste and must be managed properly. Contra Costa Health Services - Hazardous Materials Programs (CCHS-HMP) is the designated local agency assigned to implement the program to protect the public health from exposure to hazardous waste. Activities to obtain this objective include regular inspections, business education activities and the issuance of hazardous waste generator permits.
The Hazardous Waste Generator Program ensures the safe and legal handling, storage, and disposal of hazardous waste by:
- Inspecting businesses in the Contra Costa County that generate hazardous waste
- Issuing permits and inspecting businesses in Contra Costa County that perform certain treatments of hazardous waste. Under California's five-tiered system, the County has jurisdiction over the lower three tiers
- Conditionally Exempt
- Conditionally Authorized
- California Health and Safety Code, Division 20, Chapter 6.5, Section 25100 et seq.
- California Code of Regulations Title 22, Division 4.5, Chapter 10, Section 66001 et seq.
- Annual Operating Permit Fees
- Hourly Rate and Service Fees
- Fines and Penalties
2,009 Active HWG Facilities
Hazardous Waste Generator Form (Annual)
All facilities must submit 2023 CUPA packet through CERS.
Enter here for CERS instructions
- Information and Instructions for Obtaining or Updating a Permanent State ID Number
- Help with Defining Hazardous Waste in California
- Information regarding your Hazardous Waste Manifests.
- Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) database. All hazardous waste shipped on a uniform manifest. (Currently not collecting data from consolidated manifest.)
- Class Presentation: Hazardous Waste...The Basics - Feb 28, 2011
or call 925-655-3200