Contra Costa Environmental Health (CCEH) is responsible for administering the State of California's Medical Waste Management Program in Contra Costa County. As the local enforcement agency for medical waste CCEH issues permits to medical waste generators (Contra Costa County Ord. §413-3.604), implements the Medical Waste Management Act (California Health & Safety Code §117600- 118360), responds to complaints of abandoned medical waste on public property, reviews and approves safe drug take back programs (Contra Costa County Ord. §418-16) and provides additional services. For additional information, contact the Medical Waste Program at Medical.Waste@cchealth.org or 925-608-5500.
All medical waste generators that are new, changing ownership, or moving locations must submit a Medical Waste Program Application along with a $45 application fee. Applicants that generate 200lbs or more of medical waste per month and/or treat their medical waste themselves onsite (ex. autoclave the waste on site) are also required to submit a medical waste management plan, except when only changing billing information. Any permit fees due will be invoiced separately after the application, and if applicable the medical waste management plan, has been reviewed and accepted.
- See our complete fee schedule.
Many pharmacies, local law enforcement agencies, City Hall buildings, and local house hold hazardous waste facilities provide disposal services for home generated waste. Contact the facility for more information.
Below are a few resources to help locate disposal sites in your area:
- California Department of Public Health- Home-Generated Sharps & Pharmaceutical Consolidation Points
- CalRecycle- Household Sharps Waste Disposal
- Contra Costa County Waste Reduction & Recycling - Resources to Properly Discard Sharps
- DEA - Drug Disposal Site Locator
- Med Project - Drug Disposal Site Locator & Mail Back Service
- SafeNeedleDisposal.org- Disposal Search Directory
- Disposal of Home-Generated Medical Waste
- California Public Resources Code
- County Medical Waste Permit Ordinance
- County Safe Drug Disposal Ordinance
- Health & Safety Code
- Medical Waste Management Act
- Drug Wholesalers
- Producers and Stewardship Organizations